News: Sonos Now Compatible with Google Assistant Voice Control
May 14, 2019
Finally! Today Sonos announced a long-awaited software update that Google Assistant Voice Control to their Sonos One wireless smart speaker, and to their Sonos Beam wireless soundbar.
Google Assistant features on Sonos include:
• System control. Listeners can start a song using AirPlay from Apple Music, ask the Google Assistant to go to the next track, and turn the volume down in the Sonos App. In addition, one supported voice-enabled device allows for customers to request music or content to be played on other Sonos speakers in the system (Play:1, for example).
• Music, news, and radio. Use voice commands to request and control a number of streaming services, including Spotify, YouTube Music, Google Play Music, Pandora, Tidal, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, and Deezer.
• TV control via the Sonos Beam. Turn on the TV with the Google Assistant using Beam’s HDMI ARC connection and CEC, switch from TV to music, and adjust the volume. The addition of a Chromecast Ultra brings additional voice features such as requesting specific shows or movies from streaming services.
• Get answers, manage tasks and plans. Hear a daily brief, flight information or commute time, set alarms, timers, and pull up calendar appointments or get answers on weather, calculations, translations, sports, and more.
• Control smart-home products. Ask the Google Assistant to adjust the temperature or turn on the light with compatible devices.
Sonos users can now choose between Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for smart home voice control capabilities.